Charité

 

The Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin is the biggest teaching hospital in Europe. Founded in 1710 in Berlin’s north, outside the city walls, the hospital was intended to give people, suffering from the bubonic plague, a shelter. After the plague was overcome, the facilities were used as a charity hospital for the poor. In January 1727, Frederick William the First named the hospital "Charité", meaning charity. After establishing an anatomical theater, the Charité became a teaching hospital and the headquarters for the collegium medico-chirurgicum of the Prussian Academy of Sciences.

 

In 2003, the Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin became a joined faculty of both Humboldt University and Free University. Nowadays, the facilities are located at four campuses: Mitte, Virchow Klinikum, Benjamin Franklin and Buch.

 

Currently, the medical school provides room for 7,500 students in medicine and dentistry. Furthermore, Nursing education and nursing science, as well as the Master Programs Medical Neurosciences & Molecular Medicine complete the Charités educational offer.

 

Hosting more than 3,000 scientists, and more than 1,000 research groups with various projects, the Charité is proud of its numerous national and international cooperation with research institutions and medical faculties.

 

Visit the Charité’s website to find out more about the school, its history and your opportunities here.

Powered by Khore by Showthemes